Friday, July 22, 2011

The Block, a new restaurant in Webster Groves. A review.

When you enter The Block and get seated in one of the tables right next to their spacious windows overlooking Lockwood Avenue, you have the impression of being in the Food Network channel version of a anteroom preceding the work space of a rich butcher. I have to say that I found the decoration original, and in agreement with the concept that the owners seem to have for the place: from the butcher to your table.
Having no idea if that's the owner intention or not, I followed my instinct and order the butcher's cut of the night from local grass fed beef that tonight was none other than rib eye. As a starter, my wife and I shared a salad called The Block, of course. The salad came with a more than generous portion of blue cheese, and garnished with croutons and bacon. Very refreshing in a extremely humid and torrid evening as we had tonight. As the rib eye goes, I have no complains whatsoever, cook to perfection, medium rare, the steak was full of juicy flavor. It came over The Block steak sauce and with garlic fries. The fries I could live without them, but the sauce is definitely among the best sauces on the sweet side that I have ever tried on a steak. (Note: I hate sweet sauces on meats, so for me to say this, it actually mean a lot). I chose a Pinot Noir to go with it, and even though it was not the best of the Pinot Noir (it was the cheapest too), it played a perfect companion to my steak. My choice was a solid A.
My wife went for the Missouri trout. After her selection, the waitress told us that it was her favorite dish, even though she didn't like fish in general. That assertion always makes me suspicious, but it turn out that the trout tasted fresh, and was well cooked. Not a lot of flavor though, but this is not necessarily a bad thing for a river fish. She also ordered a fancy cocktail, whose name I don't remember. It was something with blackberries, rum and vodka, but I may be completely off on the last two ingredients. It is just what I remember tasting. The cocktail was good, but tiny and overpriced: $9, which may be a regular price for a cocktail in a restaurant like this, however the drink could be down in one gulp if you were really thirsty.  
Desert was delicious, peach pie with cinnamon ice cream, a classic that made homage to this label. And believe me, you can make a classic taste like obsolete if you don't know what you are doing.
In short, this restaurant left a good taste on our mouths, and we will be going back! So far, I do recommend The Block without hesitation.

Service:               4/5
Food:             4.25/5
Price:                 3/5 
Price/quality:   4.5/5


Total:            3.93/5

No comments:

Post a Comment