Monday, August 15, 2011

True Blood s04e08. "Spellbound". I got stuck!

I got deep into this episode, in every one of its stories. Then I realized I was trapped, I barely could move my legs, and my arms were struggling to disentangle. My mouth was pasty, I could hardly say something to my wife sitting right by me, also trying to free herself from the tons of cheese that Daniel Minahan (last night TB’s director) had poured on us. Then I checked Minahan’s previous work and, except for Grey’s Anatomy, (which in my opinion sucks as much as any other doctor’s drama) he has a lot of experience on good shows as Game of Thrones, The Good Wife, Life on Mars, Deadwood, or Six Feet Under. Who is to blame here for the cheesiness! (By the way, the writer is no other that Alan Ball, the series creator) The episode had two draining story lines, the one with Alcide joining the new werewolf pack with his girlfriend Debbie (who says that she finds herself at home because she met a couple of very nice bitches!), and especially the insufferable  Eric and Sooki gag-inducing one, where they show everybody how lamely in love they are. I really hate this fairy stuff in the series. In short, we could describe these two as cliché-bounding in the backwoods biker bar the former, and teenager flick-exploitation the latter. (I have never seen the (in)famous Twilight saga, but I imagine that there is a lot of that in them. Could anyone back this up?)
The episode has two lifesavers performances at least, Jason’s and the shocking Lafayette’s dream telling the background story of a character that promises to have much more to say in this season, a ghost/spirit that ends up possessing him.
I cannot forget to mention Hoyt’s (Jim Parrack) performance in his dream and real break-ups with Jessica, both of them show this actor’s talent.
These three parts saved the episode that was a serious candidate to be the absolute worst of the four seasons.
The season’s main story keeps developing; witches vs. vampires. They have their first clash that ends up with Sooki in a delicate situation. I don’t feel sorry for her after last night performance!
The next episode’s title is “Run”. I hope we do not have to do that after another unsupportable fairy-related story.
 We need the fairy absurdity to stop! Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment